Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Measuring Up



Vintage Hat Ruler Tape Measure

A vintage hatter's rule and plastic tape measure





Vintage Holographic Tape Measure
Vintage Holographic Tape Measure
I'm not sure how old this pocket tape measure is, but my grandmother passed it along to me about 25 years ago. Encased in plastic, the metal tape measures 68 inches, and has a holographic image of a dump truck and the words "Sand" and "Gravel" on the front that alternate as you tip it back and forth (click on photos to enlarge). The truck also dumps its load when the word shifts to "Gravel". There was once a company name on the opposite side, but it's worn away and now only an "M" remains.




Vintage Haberdashery Hat Ruler
Vintage Haberdashery Hat Ruler

This 5 inch hat ruler is a neat little haberdashery item that I bought last year, for only a few dollars, at a garage sale held by my local SPCA. Made of boxwood and brass, it was used to measure the inside of a man's existing hat. The brass fixture slides out to 9 inches for those men with big, Charlie Brown heads.


Vintage Haberdashery Hat Ruler

The opposite side of the ruler has a table listing the corresponding sizes, head and hat measurements (click on photo to enlarge). I measured my head with a cloth tape (22 inches), and I'm a size 7 1/8, and would fit a size 23 hat. I'm sure this will come in handy some day.

No comments:

Post a Comment