Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Mama, Don't Take My Kodachrome Away

Kodachrome photo slides
A few weeks ago, I scored 250 Kodachrome Transparencies (AKA photo slides) at Value Village for about $6.00. Inside the boxes, the numbered slides were still in order and wrapped in crisp paper, looking as though they'd never seen the inside of a projector. Dating from 1962 and 1968, they feature Christmas dinners, a parade, and holidays at the Grand Canyon and Expo 67 in Montreal. One box includes slides of "Ruth Ann in Dressing Room" as she prepares for what looks like a ballet performance.

I'm fascinated by these slides, and somewhat saddened that they were so easily given the boot. I'd like to think that someone took the time to have them transferred to digital, keeping the memories of their family alive. So, considering I have no emotional investment ... what am I going to do with them? When I purchased them, I thought I'd use the mounts for paper crafts or collage, but I'm open to suggestions.

Oh, and after viewing the Expo 67 pics, I pulled out the souvenir I'd purchased at the fair (when I was 10 years old). The tray is a little tattered and rusty, but then, so am I.


Expo 67 Tray

No comments:

Post a Comment