Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Squirreling it Away


I'm a true believer in the old adage, "A place for everything and everything in its place". I hate to admit it, but I think I spend more time finding practical, yet attractive storage for my things than actually putting those things to use.


Wood Carousal Stand
I found this, whatever it is, at an antique mall. It rotates, reminding me of an old rubber stamp carousal, but it has small nail-like hooks instead of clamps. I use it to store and display inexpensive gem embellishments that I've attached to tags. I'm still not sure if it's the best use for this find, since I don't use the gems all that often. Any ideas as to what its original purpose was? What would you use it for?


Library Catalogue Artist Tray
Many years ago, I worked in a bank library. It was the 80's, and the bank was changing from a card catalogue to an automated system. The obsolete card catalogue was free to any takers -- it was big and old and beautiful, but I lived in an apartment, at the time, and simply didn't have the room. So now, I've settled on this two drawer unit for storing hundreds of old photos, purchased for about $30, from a dealer who recently closed shop:


Vintage Photos

Later, I'll devote a separate post to the photographs.

Below the card catalogue, are three old artist's trays. These divided drawers are great for storing my ink pads and stamping tools. I purchased them, for a few dollars each, at a garage sale held by our local SPCA. I wish I'd bought more, but at the time, I just didn't know how useful they'd be. Very useful, as it turned out. Lesson learned: if it only costs a few dollars, pick it up. If it doesn't work out, donate it to Goodwill.

No comments:

Post a Comment