Thursday, September 2, 2010

Bakelite Buttons, Bangles and Buckles

Simichrome Bakelite Buttons Bangles
Apparently, using Simichrome is the most reliable method of verifying whether or not something is made of Bakelite. Unfortunately, the product isn't available in Canada. I was about to order it online, when I remembered that a friend often travelled to the U.S. on business, and he agreed to buy some on his next trip. I was so excited when I started testing -- it was a bit like a treasure hunt, looking for the tell-tale spot of yellow on the end of the Q-Tip.


Vintage Bakelite Buttons Bangles Buckle
I was sure I'd discover loads of vintage Bakelite buttons, but this is all I've found in my collection. I remember the bracelets from my childhood, but it's the red and apple juice-coloured buckle, from my mom's button box, that's my favourite.

The search continues ...

2 comments:

  1. I love the apple-juice bakelite. And also the butterscotch - wait, these names are making me hungry :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol! Whoever first named the Bakelite colours must've missed their breakfast.

    ReplyDelete